Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fajita Pasta



Melissa asked me to post the caloric breakdown in a recent dinner of mine, Fajita Pasta! It was absolutely delicious and quite healthy! As you know, I'm a big eater, so I go for bulk (lots of veggies) and even 1.5 servings of pasta, because the calories allow it! I use the Smart Taste pasta in a purple box, it has added calcium, fiber, and protein, which are 3 things I have trouble getting into my diet. It's also 170 calories/serving, when most pastas ate 200!


Here it is, Melissa! Enjoy :)


Fajita Pasta
½ lb. Rotini or any short cut pasta (3 servings, 595 calories)
½ lb. 99% fat free ground turkey (2 servings, 280 calories)
2 cloves minced garlic (10 calories)
½ red onion, sliced (30 calories)
1 c. sliced button mushrooms (30 calories)
1 zucchini, sliced (30 calories)
1 red bell pepper, sliced (25 calories)
1 green pepper, sliced (25 calories)
1 jalapeno, sliced (10 calories)
Salt and Pepper
1 15 oz. can organic diced tomatoes (75 calories)
2 tbsp. taco seasoning mix (I had Penzeys on hand) (5 calories)
1/4 c. 2% shredded cheddar cheese (70 calories)
Chopped cilantro, Sour Cream or Guacamole for garnish (These vary, so you will have to check the pakage)

TOTAL CALORIES - 1,185, per seving - 592

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt heavily, cook pasta until al dente. Drain, and pour into a large casserole dish.In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat, season with salt and pepper. When cooked, pour into the casserole dish with pasta.
In the same skillet, add mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, onion, and garlic. Sautee veggies for 10-15 minutes, until they’re tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour into the casserole dish.Add tomatoes and taco seasoning to casserole; stir well to mix all ingredients.
Top with cheddar cheese and put in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cheese is melted and pasta is bubbly.
Plate and serve with garnishes.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you!! How many servings does the recipe make? That sounds sooo good..I think I'm going to try it this week sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey melissa - that makes 2 servings at 551 cal. each. you can double/triple/etc. it or you can make it as is as a side dish and serve that to 4 people if you're making grilled chicken or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ash! I made this and it was AWESOME! My husband wants it on our regular menu rotation! hahaha

    Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ashley, the pasta sounds yummy! I just wanted to clarify, though, are you using 8oz of pasta or 6oz? 1/2 lb = 8oz but I think three servings would be 6oz. Minor detail, but just wanted to clarify for people who are counting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara - The Ronzoni healthy harvest pasta is in a 1 lb. box, but has 7 servings in it, so I guess it's technically 3.5 servings in my recipe, not 3 or 4. That pasta is different than all others I've ever used! I'll adjust it

    ReplyDelete
  6. i admire your weight loss but when i see what you eat all i think is "ick". I like/love a few veggies but i can never add them to anything or cook them more than a quick steam.

    Being super picky is one of my hardest obstacles and it sucks!

    ReplyDelete