Monday, November 24, 2008

Awful Run!

So I was all set to do my 5.5 mile run on Saturday morning. I slept in until 8:30, got dressed and left the house. I ran down to the trail to add the extra .9 miles rather than drive down and start at the trailhead. I was wearing my usual outfit, capri yoga pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. What I didn't realize when I left the house, was it was 17 degrees out. I knew it was colder than normal, but didn't think it was THAT cold. The cold really didn't hit me until I was 1.75 miles in. My bare calves started to burn and feel like knives were stabbing them. I was also sweating a bit on my neck, and my sweat was freezing on my neck! So I decided to turn around and go home. I walked for ten seconds, then decided no, I need to do this! So I turned back around and jogged for another minute until I HAD to turn around.


So I jogged back home and when I got in, I felt like I was dying. My legs were bright red and my face was on fire, but freezing. JJ immediately turned on the weather channel and was like Ash, I can't believe you went running when it's 19 degrees now!
So yeah, I don't think I'll ever run again in 17-19 degree weather... or at least I'll bundle up more! So now I'm even more nervous about the 10k on Thursday because my longest run is still 4.6! We'll see how it goes...

8 comments:

  1. You should be fine....even more so because you're so determined to finish. :o)

    And definitely pick up some pants to run in - they have some good C9 pants from Target that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bundle up a little more and you'll be fine! You can totally do it!!

    GO ASH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, that sounds really cold!
    Dont worry about it, I think you are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your blog after seeing you on The Nest. You have truly inspired me to get off the couch and get moving. You look great!!! Keep it up and good luck on your 10k! You CAN do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I ever ran 6 miles was 3 days before I ran my first 10K. My longest run before I ran my first half-marathon was 11.5 miles, but I did it. You can too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can SOOOO DO IT!!!

    bundle and trundle.

    (ok that isnt too funny---but it rhymes :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you'll be fine also. You'll be determined to finish and the adrenaline from being in a race should help too! I can't believe it's so cold there though! I think its only gotten below freezing once here (arkansas) so far and that was during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm anxious to find out how your race was!! I hope it was awesome and that you met your personal goals!!

    ReplyDelete