Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Running Shoes! (and the funny story that got me them....)



Since I started running, I knew that my adidas crosstrainers weren't perfect, but were still nice shoes. I wanted to get a pair of running shoes, but I heard they were very expensive. And really, did it matter that much if I, a non-competitive "runner", had running shoes? I didn't think so, but my dad had a different take on that...


About 2 months ago, my sister, brother-in-law, mom and dad all came out to Bloomington to visit. My sister had planned on going running with me Saturday morning, but didn't want to get up as early as I did, so I went without her. Well after I got back from running 4 miles (my longest to date then) I was so happy, and bragged a little to my dad. He then decided to go for a run while I got breakfast ready, and Kristine decided to go with him - one problem, she forgot her running shoes! Luckily, we're about the same size, so she borrowed my adidas'. When they returned from their 5 mile run, she stormed in the house and proceeded to tell me my shoes were crap, how could I possibly run in them, and I NEEDED to get proper running shoes...


Before my parents left that weekend, my dad told me he was so proud of my running accomplishments, and he wanted to buy running shoes for me. He told me that when I came home at Thanksgiving, we'd go buy them because Bob Ronkers, a shoe store in Cincinnati, and the location of registration pick-up, had a store wide sale the day before the race. I was so happy, I'd finally get running shoes!


So fast forward to last Wednesday - my mom, dad, JJ and I went to Bob Ronkers to pick up the numbers and get new shoes. My dad told me a sales person would come up to me and I should tell them it was my first pair, and they would ask me questions and fit me properly. So I was browsing through the shoes when someone came up to me - his name was Bob. He introduced himself and we chatted for 15 minutes about my running and what I was looking for. He then sized me and went to the back room to find some shoes he thought would be good for me. My dad came over with a big smile on his face and said, "Thats Bob!!!" (as in Bob Ronkers, the owner!) He then spent another half an hour with me while I tried on a few brands of shoes and different sizes, he took me to the back room and had me walk on the incline, and he gave me a great pep talk for the 10k the next day. He even told me that I would be OK to wear my new shoes!


So I ended up getting Nike Air Pegesus shoes! They were stickered at $85 there, and we got them 20% off - a great deal! I HIGHLY recommend anyone in Cincinnati shop at Bob Ronkers for their running shoes and apparel, as that was all on sale too. Bob even recommended some socks to me, explaining that cotton was not desirable for running as it held moisture. I ended up with zero blisters and no foot pain at the race!


Well, Kristine didn't take well to my dad buying me new running shoes and not her, she suggested it was all a ploy to make it into the blog - lol. How many people even read this? I don't know... but it's funny to me. So THANKS first and foremost to Kris. If you never complained about my 'crappy not running shoes', Dad never would have offered to get me new ones! Thanks to Dad, for buying me my first pair of big girl running shoes! Thanks to Bob Ronkers for helping me find a fantastic pair of shoes, and for telling me I'd be ok to wear them at the race!


Here's a photo of Kris, Dad and I at Thanksgiving... see, you're both in the blog equally :)


and PS - to anyone wondering, around 12,000 people ran the T-day race, so they give you a chip to put on your shoe that calculates when you start and finish - there were so many people I didn't even cross the start line until 10:40!

5 comments:

  1. I have the Air Pegs as well and they are by far my most favorite sneaker I have ever owned/run in! I tell people they feel like pillows on my feet. haha, ok I may be over doing it, but I really love them and will not buy any other sneaker but the Air Pegs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need new running shoes! How did the 10k go?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new shoes! So do you get to deduct the 10:40 off of your total run time? I'm assuming you would, right? You look great in the pic BTW. I do have a question though..and if you don't mind answering it but want don't want to answer on here, then message me on facebook...but I was wondering: have you had any problems with saggy skin since losing weight? The reason I ask is because since having my son, I have lost about 30 pounds and a combination of being pregnant and losing weight has left the bottom part of my tummy saggy. Anyway, I just wondered if you have had this problem at all and if you know if there is anything you can do about it aside from a tummy tuck?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nike Air Pegesus shoes are perfect for running.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I am happy that you have nice running shoes. I don't even remember making a big deal about your old ones - I just remember saying that they sucked.

    Personally, I love Nike Air Triax. Dad, would you mind hooking me up for Christmas?

    Second, I am very proud of you and all the running you're doing. I'm not jealous of the shoes, rather I'm jealous that Dad wants to be on your blog and not mine :(

    ReplyDelete