Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday, I'm in LOVE!

I've been so tired this week! Last night I was pretty much out by 9pm. I'm sure it's because I was up late watching the Duke game Monday and at Bite Club Tuesday, and never fully recovered. I did something bad though, and skipped Body Pump last night. I literally was having to make an effort to keep my eyes open driving home from work on the highway. Not good! 

I also think there's a possibility that the excess of chocolate and over-eating all weekend kind of ruined my week. I don't know why at the holidays I seem to throw it all away. It's seriously one of my biggest vices. I feel like it's my free-for-all and it won't count... but it does! I'm pretty sure I gained 2-3 lbs. from last weekend. Some water weight, but many, many excess calories. 

So this weekend, I've got another body/mind/soul clean weekend planned. After I had a bad week a few months ago, I deployed this strategy, and I felt so much better (here's the post) the next week up until last weekend. While I eat very little processed food and alcohol in daily life, about once every few months I have a bad weekend, and with last weekends wedding+easter, there was a lot of junk, which I feel like has dragged me down all week. So the next weekend I was extremely diligent to keep my food clean, exercise a lot, drink tons of water, and spend time reflecting. 

I am so proud of myself for being able to make it through the better part of the year with daily exercise, moderation in food and living a healthy life, but I still really struggle with events, occasions, and holidays. I guess in my mind since I work so hard every other day to keep things in check, it's my time to let loose. The next week or two I spend feeling gross and trying to get rid of the weight, and then I'm good for another month or two. Why I let this process keep happening, I don't know. I have made progress, but when I let go, I really let go.
Maybe in my reflections this weekend I'll find some answers...

So what will my weekend entail? 
Well, there's the normal weekend routine stuff - laundry, deep cleaning kitchens and bathrooms, grocery shopping, church and farmer's market, washing my car, bank and post office.
Then there's the body part - mani- and pedicure (done by myself, of course), and dying the hair (i'm prematurely gray, with my sister visiting in a week, gotta be sure to get that covered!). 
For exercise I'm planning on a 7 mile run Saturday and maybe trying out Jillian's Yoga DVD. Sunday I'm planning on a 4-5 mile run and maybe a shred workout. It's been ages since I've shredded. 
For my spirit, I'm planning to spend some time in my garden, potting my herbs that I started from seed, weeding and prepping my new plant beds and getting some more seeds started. While many people may not think of garden time as spiritual time, for me it is. Gardening is something that is important in my family, it's been passed down from generations, and my dad has always instilled the gratitude and wonder of what a tiny seed can produce in my sisters and me. It still boggles my mind to look out and see how much my plants grow each day! 
Also, I'll be attending church Sunday, as always, and lots of cuddle time with my dogs. They always bring my spirits up, and since the week days are hectic, I try to give them extra love and affection on the weekends.
Ok, finally, my little indulgence for the weekend evenings is this....


I have so many friends that talk about it all.the.time. And from what I've heard, season 1 was just awesome, so I'm going to spend my evenings watching a few episodes on hulu. 

I hope you all have a lovely weekend! 

11 comments:

  1. Aww I love your idea of body/mind/spirit cleanse. I have to set something up like that for myself! Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so crazy this week, I am so behind on posts! Just wanted to swing by and say have a great weekend! You deserve to feel good so enjoy your cleanse weekend!

    ps...i enjoy your blog, even when you probably think its rambling...takes me away from my reality for just a few moments. Sometimes that can help me understand my struggles better. But you have to do what feels right for you at this point in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like jillian's yoga meltdown video....level #2 is pretty intense!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week has been the same for me. I definitely gained a few pounds and gotta get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a lovely weekend! I love what you said about gardening... I can definitely relate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am the exact same way with the holidays. I don't even want to guess how many calories I ate on Easter, between the ham, the peeps and the bunny cake! Eeeep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i struggle with holidays and events too. i just tell myself that i dont do it all the time, so it's not a big deal... however, it is important to jump back on the work out train ASAP b/c if i dont, i'll just want to be a bum and not work it off, hah.
    we went to see family a couple weeks ago and ate out a ton - i just had to tell myself that we dont do it all that often so when we got back i have worked out every day since. and i will continue to b/c i gained about 3 lbs! and for me, 3 lbs takes a long time to rid myself of :-/ WE CAN DO IT :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't beat your self up about your indulgences. You need to have those, you can't deprive yourself ALL the time. I think you are doing REALLY well if these indulgences only happen every couple of months. I struggle every weekend with over eating and sometimes drinking (the drinking part is a whole lot easier after not drinking for 9 months!) Keep on keeping on and you will get to your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I go on vacation I go into "vacation eating mode" and definitely overdo it. I am trying to do damage control on the pounds I gained in Ireland. I totally get where you are coming from with struggling during holidays and celebrations. I feel like I try So hard the rest of the time that sometimes I just deserve to enjoy. It sucks how quickly weight comes back on after so much work to get it off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoy reading your blog because I can SO relate to you and your struggles! I hope you are enjoying your cleansing weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you try the yoga DVD? I am interested to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete