Sunday, October 19, 2008

Organic Eating



I've had readers ask me about eating organic, how to choose what you should buy organic, and what the benefits are.

Of course I'd say buy all organic when possible because who wants extra chemicals in their body, but I know with cost and availability, it's not always an option.

I have spent a lot of time reading up on organics, as well as listening to the advice of my sister. My whole family is very passionate about eating organic, supporting local farmers and eating local produce, and fair trade. My sister has a blog called It's Easy Being Green, where she occasionally blogs about living green! I encourage you to check it out.

She published a top 10 organics you should purchase list, and here it is.

Top 10 Organics you should purchase:

1. Tomatoes
2. Potatoes
3. Grapes
4. Lettuce
5. Strawberries
6. Celery
7. Peppers
8. Apples
9. Peaches
10. Pears

For the most part, it's my understanding that if you eat the skin of something, it's best to go organic. I always buy organic canned tomatoes and beans, and not on the list, carrots.
The top 10 safest non-organics are as follows:

1. Asparagus
2. Avocados (pesticide can't be absorbed through thick skin)
3. Bananas (pesticide remains on the peel)
4. Broccoli (crop faces fewer threats, farmers use less chemicals)
5. Cabbage
6. Kiwi fruit (thick peel, again)
7. Mango
8. Onions (few threats)
9. Papaya
10. Pineapple

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm always so encouraged when people our age are eating organics, despite the cost. It's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete