Friday, October 10, 2008

Reader Questions Answered:

Today I'll answer questions from "K" and Melissa...


Ashlee- I love your blog and always love to read your opinions! What is your opinion on organic eating and eating clean in general? Also do you keep a food journal and an exercise journal?
I'm glad someone likes my opinions :) On eating organic - I try to eat as much organic foods as possible, but also stay within my budget (my husband is in grad school, after all!) My sister is much more educated than I am on organics, but she often gives me lists of the best foods to eat organic, and those are usually items where you eat the skin. I always buy organic milk and I'm trying out different yogurts to see which I like best (right now the price tag on yogurt is a killer!) I always buy organic canned tomatoes, apples, peaches, grapes, carrots, celery, stock, and beans. I also try to always buy organic meat (beef and chicken) but again, the price sometimes is just too much.
I pretty much eat a clean diet, which means I consume no processed foods or prepackaged things. A few easy ways to do this are stay on the perimiter of the grocery store when you food shop! It's where all of the fresh ingredients are. I make all of my sauces from scratch, and even make things like hummus and salsa at home. I think eating clean is the way to go! You're constantly pumping your body with good for you anti-oxidants and natural forms of vitamins and minerals.



And Melissa asked
I would love to hear more about your day to day life, how your new job is going, how you met JJ, etc. On the weight loss front, what have been your biggest challenges that you have faced along the way, and how have you overcome them?
First off, my new job is fantastic. I absolutely love it, I'm doing a lot of the same kind of work, but it's in the best work environment. The people here are what really make it a great place to be! I also love the benefits of a Y membership!
How I met JJ, well JJ and I met the second night of school our freshman year of college in the lobby of our dorm. The cable wasn't working in both of our rooms, so we went down to the lobby to watch the Bristol NASCAR race on the big screen. We started talking and hit it off... and the rest is history :) We're coming up on our 1 year anniversary December 1, and just celebrated our 5 year dating anniversary on Sept. 3!
At first, my biggest challenges were portion control and exercising daily. Now that I am doing well with those things, I've found my newest challenge to be making healthy eating choices in social situations and at holidays. Last Christmas, like most people, I put on 10 lbs. and then I had to spend all of January working out to get rid of 10 lbs. I had already lost! Since my goal is to reach -100 by February, I know this holiday season is going to be rough. I will allow myself to indulge, but at the same time, I won't allow myself to indulge every night and eat every Christmas cookie I lay eyes on!

1 comment:

  1. First, I want to say that you have been an inspiration to me. Not only to start excercising (again), but also to start blogging about it! It has been a good outlet for me to get my feelings out about my weightloss journey.

    I am always pretty conscious about what I eat. I would love to start eating organic, but I also find it to be so expensive. I feel like I can't justify spending $3 for organic carrots when they have regular carrots for $.99. So my question is: how do you decide what is worth spending more money on? And why do you think it is so important to eat organic?

    ReplyDelete