Tuesday, October 27, 2009


Overall I had another good, but super exhausting weekend.

Friday night I left work and drove to St. Augustine because we had our carpets cleaned in the house, and JJ dropped the dogs off at his parents on his way to work. It meant getting home from work/picking them up at 7:30pm rather than 5:40pm, so I was starving! I stopped at Starbucks and got an iced soy latte, which held me over.

Since I was eating at 8pm, I didn't want to wait on food to go, but we didn't have much at home, so I made a garden salad with hummus on top and a cup of butternut squash soup. It was filling because of the bulk, but I found out Saturday morning that it was not sustaining.When I woke up, I set out to do a 4.5 mile run. After the first mile, I was so hungry and my legs felt like they weighed a million pounds. It was not going well, so I did a lot of walking and took a short cut. I did 4 miles in about an hour. I was pretty bummed out by that, but I attribute it to the lack of food the night before and the weather (it was very humid and hot considering how cool it had been). When I got home, I was drained. Hungry, depressed, and tired. Between all of the painting, exercise, and trying to really eat well, my body was done.

We did our usual grocery shop, I painted 2 bathrooms while watching football, and then we went out to dinner for Jay's birthday. I decided to just eat whatever I wanted (without eating total crap) and not feel bad about it. I can tell that I've lost a few pounds in the past few weeks, but since I threw out my scale, I can't confirm it.

So I started with the beer sampler, it was great. Then we had boniachos (nachos made with boniato chips). I ordered a portabella mushroom sandwich, and we had dessert spilt among us (cheesecake and bread pudding, amazing!).

Sunday morning when I woke up to run, I felt much better. My legs are still a little tired, but I was able to run close to 5 miles and only take 3 1 minute walk breaks. Then we picked up some breakfast on our way to furniture shop. I got an egg mcmuffin with no canadian bacon and a fruit and walnut salad. I can't remember the last time I had McDonalds, and it was good! However, furniture shopping for hours and hours took it's toll on me, and I was starving by 3 pm. It was bad to let myself get that hungry, I really don't want to mess with my metabolism. We almost stopped at a drive-thru, but I couldn't do it. I worked too hard on my run, so we went home and I made soup and salad, but planned on dinner at 6.

After my crappy run, and then my just ok run, I'm really starting to think I don't want to do the half marathon in February. Kristine told me she's decided not to, and I don't want to train alone... I feel like I'll skip it this year, still do the 15k in March, and see how that goes. I think with all of the changes going on, and how busy I've become just makes me not want to do it. It's at the bottom of my priority list. I actually think I need to focus on losing a bit more weight before I try for half training because a few pounds less makes a huge difference when running.

My health and physical well being are still at the top, but completing a half marathon in 2010 are not. And I think I'd like for my first half to be at Disney, much better scenery than running down a highway, so I'm going to shoot for the Disney Princess Half in March 2011 if the 15k goes well, and I still feel up to it.

Oh, and the highlight of my weekend, finding this at the grocery store:


  1. Maybe I missed it, but did you blog more about your decision to throw out your scale?! Would love to hear your thoughts on that. Have you heard of the blog called the Candid RD? One of her recent posts was about why it's not a good idea to weigh yourself all the time



  2. The Peppermint Mocha one is really good too :)

    Yeah.. I didn't run at all this week. I need to run tonight if you want to come over. Lord knows I could use a little motivation.

    That beer sampler looks awesome!

  3. It sounds like you have alot going on right now. There have been some big changes for you, and I dont blame you one bit if you put racing off, for now. There will always be time for it later.

  4. Keep up the good work! You are coping with a lot now in days, and you are coming out as a winner! Stay positive!

    PS. Gingerbread!!! Love the Holiday's :)

  5. Ohhh EVIL ... that flavour coffeemate isn't available in Canada. GRRR!!!! It's a problem food for me anyway. Just one of those things that I havew a hard time sticking to the appropriate serving size.

  6. I ran a 5K the weekend we moved in and it was NOT fun! I had not trained well for it and didn't feel good about it at all. Instead of enjoying the race I thought about all the stuff I still had to do. When there is a lot going on, it doesn't always mean a better run.

  7. All I've been talking about lately is how I'd love to do the Princess half...maybe I'll join you in 2011 :)

  8. I have completed 3 half marathons (2 of them at Disney!) and I would recommend that if you are not feeling like it, then wait.

    Half way through training for the 2nd one I lost interest because of life happenings. I pushed myself to do it, I did not enjoy it, I took more than normal walk breaks, had a slower time and didn't feel like I had accomplished anything when I finished.

    The first and third I enjoyed my training, I know that seems odd. But it was great for my stress levels and I liked the I can do this aspect. I'm not a very fast runner and take lots of walk breaks, my times are about 3 hours.

    I am signing up the for the Disneyland 1/2 in Sept 2010 and another (not sure which yet in 2011). If you'd like a cyber training partner I'd be happy to volunteer. It's not the same as a real training partner but every little bit helps.