Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Maintaining for a month


For the past year, I've been working hard to lose 75 pounds. Some months I pushed harder, but I was really focused on losing. For the month from July-August 15, I've been focused on maintaining the 75 lb. weight loss.

During this phase, I've been eating a bit more (healthy things), and exercising a bit less, to keep my calories burned = to calories consumed. It's been really enjoyable to see how my body responded when a few times I'd indulge a bit, and then the next few days get back on track and work a bit more. It's been very encouraging to see that I can maintain my weight for a month while living normally! One of the reasons I chose this month was because I had a vacation which I blogged about, as well as a few trips to Cincinnati for random things, like Becky's 21st Birthday, where I knew I'd be eating some cake!
Those are events that are normal, so it's good to see how I do when I'm trying to maintain a weight during normal circumstances.
(Pumpkin and I at Becky's Birthday!)


But...


Now I'm on to lose the last 25 lbs.!
I will blog a bit more about my plan to lose the last 25, but here are a few maintaining tips...

-When you've reached maintenance, decide if you want to consume more calories, or work out less. I did a combo of the two. It's still very important to exercise at least 5 times a week, but it's also very important to not revert to eating bad foods, or over eating.
I chose to increase my calories to 1600, so I added some whole wheat pretzels in at lunch, an additional piece of fruit with breakfast, and a little more dinner.

-I didn't weight myself once during this time. I went by how I felt, how my clothes fit, and just generally how my body looked. I still ran and shredded, but I don't think my body changed too much.


5 comments:

  1. You're doing great! Good luck on losing your last 25! I'm sure you'll be successful, and I am excited to watch you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really encouraging to see that it IS possible to maintain! That's my biggest fear.. losing the weight but then gaining it all back again once I start living "normally." I do realize that the new norm won't be what the old norm was though. Anyway, please post as often as possible because I find you to be SOO inspirational, so I'm constantly wanting to see if you've posted something new! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! It's always nice to read your blog and hear/read that a real person can do this with hard work and really listening to ones own body. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss! You are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog as I am a huge fitness fan as well! Have you tried any beachbody programs? I LOVE Turbo and just finish my first month of P90X with my husband!
    If you are interested in trying something new, check out: www.teambeachbody.com/BWilliams07.
    Keep going strong and good luck on your last 25 pounds!
    In fitness,
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete