Friday, April 3, 2009

SuperFood: Spinach!


Today's featured SuperFood is Spinach! I absolutely love spinach, it makes a delicious salad when topped with fruits and nuts, and it's great for bulking up pasta dishes. I personally like to buy pre washed, bagged, organic baby spinach because regular spinach in bunches can be very sandy and sometimes tough.
Spinach is a great source of:
  • Beta Carotene
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids
  • Vitamins C and E
  • Calcium
  • Iron
  • Zinc
  • Polyphenols
  • Potassium
  • Folic Acid

Spinach also has been shown to reduce the risk of cancers, offers antioxidant protection, protects against eye degeneration, anemia prevention, offers cardiovascular disease prevention, and reduces the risk of age related macular degeneration.

Some of spinach's sidekicks are: kale, collared greens, arugula, bok choy, and seaweed.

Spinach is one of the most nutritious foods on earth calorie for calorie. It's popularity has drastically increased, with consumption 5x higher now than in the 1970's. This is mostly because it is widely available in the market pre washed and bagged, as well as frozen and pre chopped.

What makes spinach so important in cancer prevention is its glutathione and alpha-lipoic acid content. These are two critical antioxidants that the body produces naturally, but production slows down as we age. Supnach also contains carotenoids lutein and beta-carotine, which are also important players in the fight against cancer.

Spinach is high in oxalates (an organic chemical that can combine with calcium to form calcium oxalate, an insoluble chemical the body can not use) therefore spinach should not be eaten daily. Twice a week, and preferably raw, is best.

Here is the dinner I made tonight with spinach: Balsamic Veggie Quesadillas

Here are some others I've made: Spinach Chicken Meatballs with Orzo Pasta Salad, Roasted Beet Spinach Salad, Harvest Spinach Salad, Spinach and Sausage Lasagna, Zuppe Toscana, Spinach and Ricotta Crepes, Pear, Spinach and Pecan Rolls, Spinach and Veggie Dip, Baked Saffron Yogurt Rice with Spinach

4 comments:

  1. I love spinach!!! But now I am concerned because you said not to eat it every day...I eat it quite often because I put it on my sandwhiches, salads, and I even eat it with pasta. While I may not eat it every single day I would say I have spinach at least 5 times a week. Is this really bad?? Thanks for posting about these super foods..it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach, so it's great that it's so good to me. I'm trying to branch out more to kale, collard greens, etc. lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog. Congrats on the weight loss. You look amazing! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and am looking forward to reading it in full! The recipes look great.

    ReplyDelete