Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February Oats of the Month: Chocolate Covered Strawberry

Well, my migrane is still raging on, so I'm going to keep this really short. Staring at the computer screen doesnt help!

Work was good today, pretty normal. JJ was off of work, so he did most of the things on his honey-do list (including going to 4 different grocery stores trying to locate a butternut squash for me!) I'm glad he had a relaxing day for the most part, he's been working so much lately!

Here is this month's oats of the month. I love, love, love chocolate, so being able to have it at breakfast is a real treat! Yet, this recipe is only 230 calories per serving! Now you might need to add 1 more tbsp. sugar, it just depends how sweet you like your oats. I add just enough to balance out the bitter cocoa powder.

My grocery store was out of McCann's Irish Steel Cut Oats, but the Quaker steel cut are very similar in taste and texture. Neither are organic, I'm going to have to check out Whole Foods and see if they have them...

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Oats

5 cups water
1 1/4 cups steel cut oats
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons raw sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
1 1/4 cups skim or light soy milk (or chocolate skim/soy milk)

Bring water to a boil in a stock pot.
Add oats, bring to a boil, turn heat to low.
Simmer, whisk and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
When oats are thickened, add cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla and strawberries.
Stir to combine, pour into a refrigerator safe dish.
To reheat: Scoop a portion into a microwave safe bowl, cook for 2 minutes, stir in 1/4 cup milk and eat.

This makes 5 servings at about 230 calories.


I need to get in a good strength training workout tomorrow. Lou and I are running Thursday, then another weigh-in on Friday! The weeks are flying by... and I'm getting nervous that May 14 is going to come too soon!

Here's my cute photo of the day, Belle loves laying in her dad's cubby!

5 comments:

  1. YUM! I can't wait to try this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Headaches suck -- I hope yours is gone today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm def trying this one on the weekend :)

    aw, too cute - my pup always sleeps in my cubby - she loves it there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. !!!!!
    This looks SO good. I definitely need to try!

    ReplyDelete