Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 20: Thankful

I have seen so many bloggers posting their reactions to what happened in Haiti, and what they're doing to make a difference. Up until now, it's just made me so incredably sad. I've prayed about it, but so many sad stories just make me feel so defeated. I know there are some great stories about miracles happening, but at the same time, there is so much pain and so many horror stories.

Last night as I was preparing dinner, I saw the truckloads full of supplies bring shipped in. There were food packets with enough calories to sustain people for a day. Just calories in a foil packet to keep someone alive. It broke my heart that I could be in my kitchen preparing a meal for an hour with groceries that were so easily available, when there are hundreds of thousands of people hoping to get just a day's worth of calories.

I don't mean for this post to be so down. And in fact, I'm hopeful that this tragedy will bring awareness to many people about the living conditions in these countries. Bring awareness to the ways we can all help. Not only by offering money and donations, but by doing things like purchasing fair trade products to help sustain a future for the farmer, his family, and his village.

Tonight JJ and I made the decision to sponsor a child through World Vision. We didn't even know how to possibly choose a child, it seemed so hard to decide. There were no children from Haiti available, so I just selected a girl anywhere in the world with my birthday. Wesene, a 3.5 yr. old girl from Ethiopia was chosen for us. Her father is a farmer, and he has a mother, sister and a brother. She is absolutely adorable. For only $35/month, we will be sponsoring her until she's an adult, or until her family is in a financially stable place and she won't need our help anymore. I hate that this tragedy was what it took to make us realize we wanted to do this, but I hope that it makes many people realize they want to.

Rather than continue to be sad, I'm going to count my blessings and offer as much up to people in need as I can.

Now onto my day. Work was pretty normal. After work, Lou and I (and his dog, Lilly) ran 3 miles at the trail right next to work. Since I have a 40 minute commute, I can't run after work yet because it's dark already. We're probably going to start running 1-2 days per week after work now that the weather is nice. Here's our run stats, we usually do between 3-4 miles when we run together.




I'm glad the Nike+ has decided to start working!

I'm off to go do the dishes and some laundry. Have a great night :)

5 comments:

  1. we've been sponsoring a little boy from bangladesh thru world vision since jan 2008. it is such a rewarding experience. he is 7 and he doesnt write his own letters to us yet (he has someone write them in bangali then they are translated) but he does draw. it's been fun to watch him grow. i hope you enjoy the new addition to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's wonderful that you're making a difference in someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. I really hope that people start to realize that we can't keep living the way we have been for so many years. Sustainable living is the only option we have now.

    I hope you throughly enjoy you new family member :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have sucha big, warm heart Ash! Everything that is happening in Haiti is so sad, it's hard to really even understand. But you're right, we can all do our part, even if it's just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing God's work. The tragedy in Haiti breaks my heart. We're doing some work with our church.

    ReplyDelete