Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 9: How can I warm a house when it's SO COLD?!

Last night I went to bed with a pretty bad stomach ache from that dinner. I woke up with a food hangover. Can't remember the last time that happened. That's a good thing though.... makes me not want to indulge for a long time. It was a fantastic dinner though. If I had stopped and skipped dessert, I think I'd have felt ok this morning. I have a weakness for chocolate cake, but I don't eat much sugar anymore, so I think that's what really did me in.

So since I moved to Florida, I've had to try to wake up at the crack of dawn to go on my runs because once the sun is up and shining, it's just too hot. That was definitely NOT the case this morning! Now I know many of the people who read this blog probably think I'm a pansy, but I moved to Florida... I'm expecting lows in the 40's, highs in the 60's ('cause that's what the almanac says it should be!). Well this week it's been highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's. It's like we're back in Indiana! I mean, look at this radar, see the blue? That's snow! What?!

I did NOT move to Florida to see snow.
However, I'll try to find a silver lining here. As I said, I usually get up around 7am on the weekends to run. Now that it's cold out, I have to wait until the sun comes up so it's a bit warmer. This means I get to sleep until 8 or 8:30. I even get to have a little snuggle time with all the dogs in bed before I go run!
So I set out on my run, started the  Nike+ and once again, around half a mile I checked to see what my pace was, and of course, it wasn't clocking my mileage! Why, Nike+, why?!


So I restarted it and it clocked the rest of my run. It was my 4.3 mile course, so in total I did it in 49:20. This is probably one of my slower runs, as you can see I took a couple walk breaks (and since it was later, there was a lot more traffic and I had to stop at intersections). Since it was so cold, my feet were numb and it was actually becoming painful to run. I also felt like knives were stabbing my throat. Awesome.... So anyway, after the few walk breaks, I felt better and was able to complete it. I am actually proud of this run because I was so cold and miserable, mad at the Nike+, and at 1 mile in, I was so close to turning around and going on. But I persevered and finished my run.

After my run we did our usual Saturday grocery shop. This week I didn't have much in the way of coupons or deals, so I spent $70 and saved $20. Not my best savings week, but I still came in well under my budget of $100 (though I'm really trying to keep it under $75/week for Jan. to offset how expensive our dinner was last night).

JJ and I did some cleaning, and then I randomly picked up my guitar and started playing. It's been a long time since I did that! Perhaps one day I'll post some clips of my music. I wrote and recorded an album back when I was 18. I haven't written in a while, but lately I've been feeling more inspired and just might get back into writing.

Tonight we went to Leah and Jay's for their Housewarming Party. I've never lived in the same area as my cousins (I only have 5 between both sides), so it's really nice to have JJ's cousin so close! Leah's become like a 3rd sister to me, and Jay is so fun. They definitely made moving here a lot easier in the beginning when I was so sad and lonely.

We got there early to help with any last minute things and set up our Wii for the party. I tried to stick to eating as much of these 2 platters as possible... however I did eat my fair share of scoops with pesto/sun dried tomato/cream cheese dip.

Now as mad as I am at Florida for lying to me about 60 degree January weather, I can't help but be thankful for things like this.... Today Leah and Jay's neighbor picked some tangerines off their tree and brought them over. It still is so crazy to me that you can just go out in the yard and pick some gorgeous fruit like that in January. I almost walked out with them. Don't they look fake, so perfect?!

So when we got there, I asked JJ to get me a glass of red wine. He poured it, and Leah's friend knocked the glass over, JJ tried to save it from the beige floor and white couch, and it got all over him. Poor JJ!

Tomorrow's fitness plans are up in the air. Part of me wants to sleep in with JJ and the dogs in my warm bed... but I think I might just get up early, run 2 miles as fast as I can and then maybe a few circuits of strength training. Tomorrow night is the pizza bowl qualiftying round where I'm going to be a "local celebrity judge"....hahaha... oh my!


  1. Hi, Ash! I have a question for you, and please forgive me if you have blogged about this at some point, but how did you start running? I've lost 60 pounds since May through eating healthy and exercise, and I dream of running. I just don't know how to begin.

    How do I build endurance? Do I need fancy shoes/equipment? What if someone sees me panting like a cow in heat and I get embarrassed? Any suggestions or advice is very welcomed!

  2. you're cracking me up - first FL's too hot for winter, now too cold :) get used to it...that's FL for ya!! you're doing great with your blogging resolution, keep it up. i enjoy reading.

  3. I lived in Miami when it snowed in 1977... I was 8 years old! And we had an orange and a grapefruit tree in our back yard and we love it! We would just pick our snack off tree and eat it!

  4. I'd love to hear some of your music! I can't believe you recorded an album when you were 18 :0)